Friday, April 6, 2007

Truth

Remember when research meant driving/walking/biking down to the library, locating the card catalog, spending an hour trying to find a book on static electricity or Communism, or Ancient Greek relics, only to find four books with one paragraph each on your topic? So, then, you'd go home and copy down what the encyclopedia had to say about the topic (on notebook paper--so archaic); making sure to not include your encyclopedia in your bibliography.

The encyclopedias in my parents house were 1) old, and 2) British. It was always funny to read about things like the Revolutionary War...told from the British perspective. It really makes you wonder how much truth there is out there in the world.

Some people call me skeptical. I just think I'm realistic. I basically don't believe anything anyone tells me. After all, why should I? I remember going to the movie Home Alone 2 with my brother when I was maybe 12. My mom came to pick us up and my brother started to tell her the storyline of the movie. After twenty of my corrective inerruptions, Mom told me a lot of times two people can see the same thing and come away with completely different recollections of what happened. She went on to tell me that I should respect my little brother more and that I'm not always right...but that's not the point.

I guess the real question is, who can we trust? The answer is either no one or everyone. If we trust no one, we never find truth. If we trust everyone, we find truth everywhere (though it may be contradictory sometimes). Fortunately, my husband has a photographic memory, so whatever he remembers is what we consider "truth" in our relationship. I don't mind it when I remember things differnently. After all, if I can't trust anyone else, why should I trust myself?

0 comments: