Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter Dinner...or the Lack Thereof

My husband and I both hate cooking. When we got married we realized that one of us had to demonstrate a vested interest in food or one of two things would inevitably happen. Either we would starve, or we'd go bankrupt (I'm not sure which is worse, but both seem like hearty punishments).

We don't put much focus on "traditional roles" in our relationship, but with cooking, I have graciously accepted the burden. Well--I've been working on graciously accepting the burden.
My success was evidenced by our Easter dinner on Sunday.

People (namely my husband's ex-wife) seem to be able to sit down and figure out what to eat for the next two weeks and then they make a list, and then go to the store once and don't go again for two weeks. My brain is capable of comprehending a lot of things--calculus, organic chemistry, the history of the universe, but when it comes to organizing a meal plan, I lose all ability to focus, then I start to panic and go into convulsions as I try to figure out how many slices of bread one would need to make toast every morning for two weeks.

My husband and I are Christian, but we fairly standardly forget to put much emphasis on holidays. We have a shopping center located about a mile from our house. On Sunday (Easter), we walked over there, as we often do on Sunday evenings to have dinner at the Mexican restaurant. When we got about 20 feet away, we realized that all of the stores we had passed so far were closed and that the lights seemed to be off at our restaurant. Damn! Yes, we had forgotten that it was Easter (we went to church that morning, but I generally remember things like that for about two hours).

In the end, we decided to try out "cooking". We walked home, and then drove to Wal-mart, where we purchased all the ingredients we needed for tacos (back off--I know I should have already had this kind of standard stuff)--made with refried beans out of the can, and cheese on store bought tortillas. It was really good...I suppose I should have remembered the Easter ham, deviled eggs, and au gratin potatoes, but oh well...maybe next year.

Yeah right--that is about as likely as the ex-wife inviting us over for Easter dinner.

0 comments: