Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Here we go.

Well, here goes--my first blog.

I'm am going to graduate school right now. This is mostly due to the fact that I'm in a dead end job which pays the bills and is overall a good place to be, but leaves me completely unfulfilled. I'll leave discussion of my job to another day.

Anyone who has been to college understands the frustration of waking up early to register for your classes, and the website crashes, and then you find that the classes have filled up without waiting for you (so inconsiderate!).

Anyway, I just got a call from my "academic advisor" who informed me that the class I was planning to take this fall is full (argh!). No big deal, right? At a normal university, that's correct. Pick another section, or find another class. Well, not at this university which shall remain nameless (I'll give you a hint...blue football field...that seems to be our pathetic claim to fame). It isn't possible to find another class or section because most of the courses in my program are only offered every two years and only have one section. I can't believe that I'm paying $250 per credit to deal with this kind of crap.

So, now I'm stuck on a waiting list. Those have a tendency to work out so well. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

I guess life is in and of itself a waiting list. You just wake up every morning hoping that you'll be able to accomplish something. You don't just sit there thinking, hoping that someone will do your job for you; you work hard, you act like someone you're not in order to impress your boss, you exercise. You do all of these things in hopes of actually getting to the top of the waiting list. What it boils down to in the end is that there are no guarantees. Just like a class registration waiting list, the things we wish for in life so often depend on someone else. So, I'm going to go call the professor and hope that some other student gets to the top of their job waiting list and quits school so I can get my spot in the class.

0 comments: