Monday, May 4, 2009

Crazy Knitting Lady

I set out Saturday afternoon at about 3 o’clock with the goal of getting the materials for a new knitting project.

The afternoon ended up being so infuriating that I have spent the last ten minutes trying to piece together the chronology and CANNOT figure it out. My mind’s ability to suppress is astounding.

Here’s what I know. I went to our new supersized JoAnn’s and I went to Michael’s. I’m not sure where I went first, but I think I may have gone to JoAnn’s twice. I found free instructions for an afghan at one of these stores, got chicken nuggets and a Diet Coke, and changed my clothes at some point.

I came away from this chaos with 5 balls of yarn (I needed 32) and no properly sized needles. I buy my knitting supplies at these sorts of big box craft stores because I am kind of a crappy knitter so if my supplies are inferior, I can’t see that it really matters. I have, however, wanted to visit a certain specialty knitting store near my house and I figured that they’d have the needles I needed. I went to said store, where a really haughty saleswoman informed me that a) they didn’t have the right needles for my project b) she didn’t think this size even existed and c) the closest thing cost $18 (about twice what these needles cost at the big box stores). Um, thanks…

Infuriated, condescended upon, and tired of shopping, I decided that I’d give Craft Warehouse a chance and then would forfeit. By the time I reached Craft Warehouse, I’d been blatantly cut off twice, turned in front of at a dangerous distance, and almost run over. I walked into the store and quite literally had to use every ounce of restraint I had to refrain from pushing a kid out of my way. Hey—he was standing in the middle of the aisle! Pathetic, I know.

I reached the yarn and my frustration melted as I looked up and saw the brand and colors for which I had been searching; in fully stocked bins, floor to ceiling. I think I pronounced my excitement audibly. After gathering the yarn into my basket, I was also thrilled to find that Craft Warehouse also stocked the needles I needed.
I was so excited that I almost gave the girl behind the register a hug. I suppose that would have been weird.

So, back to the afghan instructions I found. They contain a typographic error. This is not a problem, I figured out what was supposed to happen, no big deal, but I wanted to let the company know about the error. In reading the fine print, here’s what I found.

I understand why they feel the need to say that they’re not responsible for typographic errors, but seriously, isn’t this something for which they SHOULD be responsible? I guess that’s why the instructions are free.

0 comments: