Thursday, April 10, 2008

My Diabetic Life

In just a few weeks I will celebrate (not sure whether celebrate is the best word) the 15th anniversary of my diagnosis with Type 1 Diabetes. My enthusiasm for taking care of the disease constantly waxes and wanes as it is a disease which requires constant attention and humans get annoyed by anything which requires constant attention. I’ve been reading a lot of other Diabetic’s blogs lately and it is fun to reflect on my own experiences as I read about theirs.

As a result, I’ve moved into one of my “waxing” stages of Diabetes care and I registered for the Diabetic Runner challenge, which is designed to help promote World Diabetes Day (November 14th). This means that I’ve set a goal to run 500 miles before the end of the year…yes, I know the year is more than 25% over. I have a knack for joining things mid-way through. I mean, you have to let someone else test the water first, right?

I know I’ll bore the readers of this blog if I ramble on too much about blood sugars and infusion sites and lancets and insulin reactions, so I’ll keep this one short, but I did want to take a few lines to pay tribute to this often toned down, and sometimes ignored aspect of my life which, in the words of a fellow diabetic—doesn’t define me but helps explain me.

1 comments:

Kerri. said...

First off, I'm digging your cloud background. It's very fun and distracting and I wish my bathroom walls looked like that. :)

Secondly, I'd be more than happy to read about your diabetes life. I'm intrigued by how others integrate diabetes into their blogger (not an issue for me, as my blog is pretty much about diabetes - and the occasional cat).

And thirdly - hello! Thanks for linking me. I'm looking forward to learning more about you!

-- Kerri. :)