Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I just read through my last post. For those of you who have been waiting with baited breath to hear how well I survived my desk move (ha ha…all one of you who reads this)…yes, I am still employed, still happy, and still have all of my desk décor happily organized at my NEW desk.

I had several alleged downsides to my new desk listed in my last post. The real ones turn out to be the following:

1. I have to time my blog posts/bank account reconciliation/vacation planning/research/homework/shopping with one particular person’s lunch break. By so doing, I have thus far been able to avoid being fired based on inappropriately using company property i.e.—using the internet when I’m supposed to be working.
2. It is cold over here too.
3. I can’t lean really far over and see out the window…so I’ve resorted to looking at weather.com during a particular person’s lunch break.
4. No one comes to talk to me anymore (except during a particular person’s lunch break). I’ve remedied this problem by going to talk to them (a unique idea, I know), which seems to be working out okay, plus that way I have to walk more and I’ve lost 4.4 pounds since moving to my new desk.
5. My computer speaker wires were damaged in the move. I tried to plug them in on day one and shortly thereafter I began to smell burning. So—I’m working on finding some cheap computer speakers. No music for now.
6. I’m REALLY bored. I get my work done so much faster now that I sit by a particular person…who actually doesn’t take a lunch break every day.

I think those are all of the “bad” things about my new desk.

There is one very big plus. I spent the bulk of my work days last year trying to contrive ways to wear out my computer monitor. It was created in about 1986 and it was that creamy color that NEVER looks clean no matter what you do. I was thrilled the first day I came to work after the move to find out that, not only did the IT department move my tower to the correct desk, but also, they left me with a beautiful black flat screen monitor. It was the best day of my life thus far. Okay, not really, but it is so awesome. The flat screen more than compensated for the fact that my new desk is smaller by taking up such a miraculously tiny amount of space that I now have a gigantic empty area on my desk. Yea! I feel so executive!

Oh, also, I love that my new keyboard has some of the letters worn off. I used to have all of my keys mixed up on my keyboard just for fun, but one time I came back from vacation and someone had put them all back in the supposed “right” place. So, this gives me a little of the feeling of having a renegade keyboard. Rage against the machine, right?!

All in all, I’m satisfied.

0 comments: